Independence Day means a lot of things, but most relevant to this holiday are the four F’s: freedom, flags, fireworks, and food! If you are hosting or attending a gathering, here are a few fun appetizer ideas from the very awesome Delish to help you get into the spirit.
4th of July Brie
1 (35-oz.) wheel brie
6 strawberries, tops removed and sliced
1/2 c. blueberries
1/4 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tsp. honey
Graham crackers, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut off the top rind of brie then place brie in a skillet about its same size. Bake until brie is bubbling and totally melted throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries and blueberries in separate medium bowls. Divide orange juice and honey evenly between each bowl and toss to combine. When brie is ready, arrange fruit in the pattern of the American flag. Serve immediately, with graham crackers for dipping.
Pull-Apart Pigs in a Blanket
6 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 tube Pillsbury pizza dough
2 (12-oz.) packages cocktail wieners
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease inside of a 8” springform pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper flakes.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pizza dough and cut into 1”-x-2” rectangles.
- Brush top of each with butter mixture, then wrap each cocktail weiner in pizza dough and pinch seam shut.
- Place pigs in blanket standing upright in springform pan. They should be snug, but not too tightly packed together. (Otherwise dough won’t bake!) Brush top with remaining melted butter mixture.
- Bake until golden, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve warm with dipping sauces.
Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
16 oz. baby bella mushrooms
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 slices cheddar, quartered
Sliced cherry tomato, for garnish
Sliced gherkins, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir until fully combined. Form into small patties (approximately the size of your mushrooms).
- In a large bowl, toss mushroom caps with oil and season with salt. On a parchment lined baking sheet, place the mushrooms stem side up.
- Place your tiny burgers in the wells of the mushroom caps and bake for 20 minutes. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and place slices of cheddar on burgers. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with a slice of tomato and a pickle chip. Serve.
images via delish