Easter Hors D’oeuvre Ideas
Are you gathering with family or friends over Easter Weekend? Here are a couple of springy, fresh hors d’oeuvre ideas that you can bring to your feast that will compliment any main course, and look beautiful on any Easter tablescape. My mouth is watering!
shrimp deviled eggs (adapted from mark bittman)
- ¼ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 eggs
- 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped high quality black olives
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook until pink, about 2 minutes. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon. Let cool a bit, then chop.
- Add eggs to pot, adding water, if necessary, to cover. Bring water just to a boil, then shut off heat. Cover pot and let eggs rest for 9 minutes, 10 minutes if eggs are large. Plunge eggs into a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, peel.
- Halve eggs lengthwise and remove yolks. Mash yolks of 3 eggs in a medium bowl. Add chopped shrimp and remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Mound this mixture into egg whites. Crumble remaining yolk on top and garnish with parsley. Serve, or cover with plastic and refrigerate for up to a day; bring back to room temperature before serving.
asparagus roll-ups (adapted from allrecipes)
- 6 slices bacon
- 24 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When bacon is cool, crumble and set aside in a bowl.
- Place asparagus spears into a large skillet and pour in about 1 inch of water. Place over medium heat, cover the skillet, and simmer asparagus until bright green and slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove asparagus and set aside.
- Place cream cheese and chives into the bowl with bacon and stir to evenly combine.
- Roll each bread slice with a rolling pin on a work surface until the slices are thin and flat.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over each slice of bread.
- Center 2 asparagus spears on a bread slice, and roll the slice around the asparagus into a tidy and compact cylinder. Place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Brush each roll with melted butter and sprinkle each with about 1 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and hot, 10 to 12 minutes.
images via allrecipes, marthastewart, newyorktimesfood