Thanksgiving is a lovely American holiday, rich with tradition. Sure, we all know of the tradition of the Thanksgiving Feast; turkey with all of the fixings, followed by a slice or two of pumpkin pie and a nap. We all surely know of the tradition of watching football on Thanksgiving, and that of the Macy’s Day Parade in New York City. And the newer tradition of participating in a “Turkey Trot” race in the morning, and my family’s favorite: The Turkey Hunt. The Turkey Hunt is just that: a backyard hunt for the turkey. An uncle brings along a black garbage bag and a discreetly hidden tube of ketchup. This is only recommended for families with very small kids…it doesn’t take too long for them to catch on.
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?
Some fun Thanksgiving facts:
- A ripe cranberry will bounce.
- All turkeys and chickens have wishbones.
- Canadians celebrate their own Thanksgiving every October.
- Abraham Lincoln declared a national day of Thanksgiving in 1863.
- The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was held in 1924.
images via countryliving, pinterest