Whatcha up to today? Get into the holiday spirit and bake some Christmas cookies for your friends, family, and co-workers! We at Boottique were lucky enough to have our former intern, Caroline, drop off a batch of cookies similar to this to our staff the other day. While Caroline likely won’t give us the actual recipe (what gifted baker would do that?) we were lucky enough to find this “copycat” recipe. Try them – we PROMISE you will not be disappointed!!
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, diced into 4 pieces
- 1 cup (6 oz) good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Crushed peppermint candy canes, for topping
- To a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate and butter. Heat on HIGH power in 20 second increments, stirring between intervals until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium-high speed, whip together eggs, egg yolk, brown sugar and granulated sugar until pale, fluffy and creamy, about 3 minutes. Mix in vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Mix in cooled chocolate mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir dry mixture into egg/chocolate mixture just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill until partially set, about 45 minutes (it should be easier to roll and chilling will reduce spread). Preheat oven to 350 degrees during last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Scoop dough out about 2 – 2 1/2 Tbsp at a time (35g each) and shape into balls. Place dough balls on Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 8 – 11 minutes (cookies should look slightly under-baked they’ll continue to cook slightly once removed from oven). Cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool frost with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting then sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Add peppermint extract and powdered sugar and mix until pale and fluffy.
Thank you for making our day sweeter, Caroline! We know our readers will adore these cookies.
recipes via pinterest (and Caroline!)